Saturday, January 16, 2010

Ready, Set, Run

Another contest is now on its way. In the next 30 days a group of us, and the Nike+ have gotten together to see who can run the longest distance. The biggest disadvantage I have is the fact that hate running, but being competitive, this will give me a reason to get my lazy self off the couch. I am also high on the accident list, but as long as I can keep myself from having to go to the hospital, I am in good shape.

So to kick off this competition I signed up to run the 5K at Magnuson Park. To be honest, before the run started, all I wanted to do was to hide in bed under the covers, and I kept asking myself why did I get up this early to go run? I mean, its the weekend, it's my day to sleep in.
But I had to suck it up and deal with it, plus I knew this was going to get me 3.1 miles down on the board for the run competition.

One thing that came out interesting was my play list choice. I debated to myself if I wanted to listen to something fast and heavy to get pumped up, but I felt there might be to much shouting in my head. What about hip hop or R&B? It could work, but I might want to dance then run. I thought about listening to books, but I might not be able to focus on the story. So out of the many choices to pick from, I decided to go with the Glee soundtrack, volume 1.
Have you ever you thought what it would be like if life was a musical, that's how I felt listening to Glee.
To start off the run was "Don't Stop Believing" it was actually a perfect song. I was feeling good and knowing I can finish this. By the time the next song, "Can't Fight This Feeling" came on, I was already out of breathe and my calves were tightening up. What the heck? It was only 4 minutes into the run. This was not looking good. I slowed down for the next few songs. As I reached the halfway point of the run the song "Alone" came on. Interestingly and pretty sad, I found myself running alone, no one ahead me, so I turned around, and saw no one behind me. If that wasn't weird enough, on my last push, hanging on for dear life to finish I happened to be listening to "No Air". How convenient is that? That song had to be playing at the worst time. I always wanted life to be a musical, but I never thought it would come from me running a 5k.
But after it was over and I recuperated with some oranges, bread and a bench to sit my tired butt on, life was back to normal. I do like to thank Mike and Adam for making me sign up and for their support. I am glad I did it, but I think I should train a little more before my next 5k.

After the run, I checked to see how accurate my Nike + sensor did and it only calculated me running 2.7k. WHAT? That is just great, there goes me posting my 3.1 mile for the competition. So I have to recalibrate the sensor and do this over again. Well, wish me luck, I probably won't win, but who knows.

1 comment:

  1. Kham! It sounds like the Glee soundtrack was the perfect soundtrack. hahaha

    ReplyDelete